Just call me Saffron, will you?

generated by sloganizer.net

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Stories for my mother

I met this boy from Botswana in my class 2 days ago.

Nice chap, soft spoken. And I decided that I like him already.

We were having a conversation with Mien today. About most things taboo.

Mien and I voiced our disgust at the young once-couple that was fined for "indecency" in KLCC park last year. They were hugging.

Then the boy said softly, "I had a friend who was beaten up for it."

Stunned, I asked, "Beaten up for what?"

"For hugging his girlfriend."

Silence.

"By who?" I asked.

"These 2 security guards at his place," he said with a somewhat wistful smile.

I blinked a couple of times. I tried to digest what I just heard.

But I couldn't.

"So did he make a police report?"

He shook his head. "He didn't want any trouble."

Right that instant, I wanted to apologize for his friend's trauma, for the no-hugging-and-kissing-in-public laws, for simply being Malaysian.

Damage was done.

Because an African boy who was hugging his girlfriend was beaten up by 2 Malaysian security guards who wanted to play God and punish those who are indecent, those who are wrong.

I wonder what stories the African boy will have to write home about.

4 Comments:

  • was this racially inclined too?
    ie: was his girlfriend malaysian, and that the guards were pissed that he wasn't?

    By Blogger vagus, at 11:53 AM  

  • i didn't think it was racially inclined as the couple was african. it was more of a case of being "indecent" on the security guards' turf.

    By Blogger Disco Ball Pixie, at 12:01 PM  

  • ppl in Melb have sex in cinemas, parks, trains and trams...this is absurd! M'asians need to grow up...what is making out in public compared to Malay girls who dress like sluts and Muslims who eat pork and not fast. First decide where you want to draw the line before pointing at foreigners for being more culturally natural.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 PM  

  • i have nothing to say. i can only apologize for the mentality of certain malaysians, being one myself.

    By Blogger Disco Ball Pixie, at 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home