Just call me Saffron, will you?

generated by sloganizer.net

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Oooooh...I like this font. So I sound like a retard. So what?
I realized that I've been such a lazy blogger that I shouldn't even be classified as one. There's been this ongoing debate in Youth2 in The Star for a couple of weeks now, something about the harmful effects of blogging. My first reaction was "WTF?"
I mean, seriously. If I wanted to blog, I'll blog. If I didn't want to blog, I won't blog. There was this parent writing in saying that bloggers use inappropriate language, like, you-know-what. Well. I'm sure everyone uses it once in a while. When we're pissed off, we use that F word. When we're happy, we use that F word. When we're sad, we still use that F word. In short, it's not something rude anymore. It's part of our vocabulary. It's like breathing. We don't even realize we're breathing--and same goes for saying that word.
To that very distressed parent who wrote in to say that blogging is like baring our souls to strangers and that the language used is often inappropriate, I hope you'll get over it soon. Things don't change overnight. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Just be thankful that your kid doesn't curse in front of you. And because he respects you that much, he chooses his words carefully when conversing with you. See?
Personally, I've never thought it was cool to swear. I mean, how can swearing be cool? Like I said earlier, it's like part of our vocabulary. Blame it on TV, blame in on our bas sekolah gang, blame it on the construction workers who speak loudly on their cellphones. The point is, yes, we know it sounds rude. And yes, it makes many people cringe. Of course, our sentences always sound better without those words.
But do bear in mind, though, that we don't do it on purpose. I can't count the number of times I've let it slip from my lips. Honestly, do you think I'd structure my sentences around swear words? Imagine this. I'm trying to illustrate just how slow the car in front of me is going. It's so slow, it's almost not moving.
Now, I can't be going "Oh, I think I should put in a couple of swear words so that other people will get the point." R-ight. So I go, "That car is so fucking slow it's not even really moving~~"
Yes, pardon the French. I told you I didn't do it on purpose. It's in my vocabulary. It's a bad, bad habit. Like biting on my nails. Or chewing my lip when I'm thinking. It's something that I can obviously try to kick (which, by the way, is what I'm trying to do at the moment).
Now, now. I'm neither encouraging nor discouraging people from swearing. It's a free world. It's your choice, not mine. And if you don't like what I just said, well, screw you. That wasn't intended to be rude. And yes, you may leave any comments of dissatisfaction here.
Have a great day~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home